Parcels and packages that require transportation, shipping or delivery, and sometimes storage are often packed into and onto boxes, bundles, pallets, and packages for convenience, safety and security. These parcels are secured tight together using a certain process known as strapping, which is mostly a strap material made from plastic, metal, ultra band steel and other kinds of materials.
A strapping machine is the equipment used to bundle or strap packages together in order to keep them secure from damage, theft or falling off. This strapping is fed into strapping machines in form of a roll, which is then dispensed during operation and used to seal the packages.
Strapping Machine Applications?
Strapping machines are used in many different industries, especially in departments such as warehousing, logistics, shipping centers, newspaper and magazine publishers, food manufacturers, and many others. However, some of these applications require higher performance output capacity machines than others. In most cases, it depends on the types of products being strapped or sealed as well as the quantity of units being handled. This makes it important to understand the various types of strapping machines available.
Types of Strapping Machines
There are various types of strapping machines, which differ in speed, volume, operation mechanism, and style. It also depends on the strapping machine supplier you choose to invest in a machine.
- Based-on-volume and mechanism – With the based-on-volume and mechanism, there are three major types of strappers. These are semi-automatic low volume, semi-automatic moderate volume, and fully automatic high volume strapping machines.
- Semi-automatic low volume – These are mostly used by firms or businesses whose packaging and shipping needs are minimal.
- Semi-automatic moderate volume – These are used mostly by small or medium companies with moderate to low production but have consistent shipping needs.
- Fully automatic high volume – In places like postal offices, newspaper companies and other companies with high volume of production and more shipping consistency fully automatic high volume strapping machines are ideal. In fully automatic versions, the machine is activated as soon as a bundle is detected at the right positioning with the help of inbuilt photocells. This makes them swift enough and suitable for high volume applications, since they are also used alongside conveyor systems. We recommend the RQ-8 Automatic Strapping Machine from StraPack.
Strapping Machines (Based On Style)
- Package Strapping Machines – These are commonly used in postal offices, mailroom centers, shipping centers, newspaper production houses and other industries for securing or strapping smaller parcels for transportation and delivery. They are also known as pallet strappers.
- Pallet Strapping Machines – These are mainly intended for larger distribution warehouses and logistics freight forwards for use in securing pallets and shipping crates in position to prevent damage of products. They can either be fully automatic or semi-automatic. These can also have a vertical or horizontal orientation.
- Table Top Strapping Machines – These can either be automatic or semi automatic and a preferred for their portability and great speed. Most of them can handle high volume strapping. They have a design that assumes the looks of the top surface of a table.
Type According To Joint Positioning
When securing boxes and packages, the machine a joint is produced at some point in the strapping after tightening the grip. Strapping machines can be defined by the location of this joint. These are top seal, bottom seal, or side seal, the bottom seal versions being the most preferred especially where elegance in packaging is a concern.